Friday, June 27, 2008

Farm Share Friday #4

This week's share included a container of delicious organic strawberries - YUM!! Salad mix, kale, spinach, garlic scapes, asparagus and potatoes made up the remainder of the share.

[Note: no photos this week as my digital camera has kicked the bucket!]

So far I have not done anything terribly original with my veggies this week. Greens have been used in salad, asparagus sauteed, strawberries sliced and eaten by the bowlful.

I did end up making a delicious cake last weekend with the zucchini from last week's share. I think this Chocolate Zucchini Cake is possibly the most decadent use for zucchini I know! It's been a family favourite for a few years - perfect washed down with an ice-cold glass of milk on a hot summer evening.

Garlic scapes are the part of the garlic that grows above ground; it's cut off to encourage the bulbs to grow larger. Scapes can be prepared similar to green beans. I think I might try a potato-and-scape salad or possibly a scape and spinach quiche. I should have a recipe to share by next week!

Kale, kale, what to do with kale? It's good in soup but this time of year I'm looking for some more warm-weather friendly alternatives. I might try this Sweet Pepper Pasta Toss with Kale, or see what I can come up with on my own, perhaps using this Kale with Garlic and Bacon recipe as a springboard!

No comments: