Friday, July 4, 2008

Farm Share Friday #5

I've finally gotten a chance to come back and edit this post!

This week's share included: salad mix, strawberries, asparagus, lettuce, cilantro, potatoes, cabbage, and green onions.

I confess I promptly gave the cilantro to my neighbour - I abhor the stuff; she loves it. If you happen to be in the latter category, it's great in curries!

I've pretty much done my "standard stuff" with the veggies this week - green salad, potato salad, sauteed asparagus (I tucked some leftover Garlic-Sesame Asparagus into a Hummus and Veggie Wrap for lunch today).

I was pleased to see a cabbage in our share so early in the season. These cabbages are far superior to their grocery store counterparts - smaller and more tender.

Here is one of my favourite summer uses for cabbage (still no camera, sorry guys!:

Colourful Cabbage Salad
Moat of the prep time for this salad is chopping the vegetables. Use a food processor to shred the cabbage - this will speed your prep time considerably!

Time: 45 minutes
Serves: 6-8 as a side dish

1 *small* cabbage, shredded (or approx. 1/2 a large cabbage)
1/2 a red onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, shredded
1/2 a medium red pepper, finely chopped
6 strips regular or turkey bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled
3/4 cup cheddar cheese, cut into small (1/2" or less) cubes
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp honey mustard
1 tsp celery seed
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped fine

1. In a large bowl, combine cabbage, red onion, carrots, red pepper, bacon and cheese.

2. In small bowl, combine remaining ingredients and mix until well combined.

3. Pour dressing over cabbage mixture and stir until vegetables are well coated with dressing.

4. Transfer to serving dish. Can be served immediately or prepared up to 24 hrs in advance.

No comments: