Friday, May 9, 2008

The Key Kitchen Tool for Cutting Your Food Prep Time


If you haven't guessed by now, I'm pretty frugal about most things. This definitely holds true in the kitchen; the majority of my equipment is of the low-budget variety. There is, however, one kitchen tool which, in my opinion, is worth splurging on: a good set of knives. I might have never discovered the pleasure of cooking with a quality set of knives if my husband hadn't sold them part-time while he was in college. I admit, the first time I saw the price tag on a quality knife, I gasped in horror. After 15 years of using top-quality knives on a daily basis, I am here to report that they are worth every penny!

Good knives make the basic kitchen tasks of slicing, chopping, and dicing much quicker and easier. Since these are usually the most time-consuming preparation steps of any recipe, anything that reduces this time is well worth it! You will also reduce your chance of getting injured in the kitchen if you're using a solid, sharp knife rather than a dull and poorly-constructed one.

I have been using the same set of knives for 15 years now, and they still look and perform as well as they did when they were brand new. The brand I use is Cutco. I think they are the best knives available - the ergonomic handle design ensures a comfortable and safe grip, allowing you to work quickly and safely. They also have a full tang (the metal that extends into the handle) which is one of the hallmarks of a good knife. They have a "forever guarantee" - if the knife is damaged under normal kitchen use, it will be replaced free of charge, no matter how long you've owned them! I recently had the opportunity to put this guarantee to the test, as the blade on my paring knife broke off. I mailed it in to the company, and one week later, I received a brand new knife, free of charge, no hassles whatsoever! There are other quality knives out there as well, but I simply can't say enough about how much I love mine.

I know many of you may not have the budget to go out and buy a full set of top-of-the-line knives. They would make a great item to add to your wish list for a Christmas, birthday, or anniversary gift!

Here are the top three knives I think every kitchen should include:

1. Chef's knife: The workhorse of the kitchen, this is a heavy-duty knife that can be used for chopping, slicing, and dicing vegetables and meats.

2. Paring knife: For more intricate jobs like peeling apples and other small fruits, and hulling strawberries

3. Serrated knife: (also often referred to as a bread knife) is perfect for slicing breads and other baked goods.

These three knifes can handle almost any kitchen task, and many people may find these are the only three knives they will ever need. Of course, you may find, as I did, that they enhance your cooking experience so much, that you would like to add a few more knives to your kitchen collection!

[Disclaimer: I am NOT receiving any type of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my endorsement of Cutco knives. I'm endorsing them because I think they're a great product!]

No comments: